art of the horse
Barn Tour & Art Program Field Trip
Art of the Horse is an interdisciplinary learning program that uses the horse as a model for contemplative creativity and cultural connection.
Completely free to PUSD (including the bus) thanks to donations from the community and Rose Bowl Rider members!
- Tour the stables to learn about various horse breeds, their colors, their origins, their roles and breed purpose, and their impact on mankind.
- Watch a riding demonstration to learn the movements and gaits of the horse, different riding styles and the power and grace of the horse while being ridden over jumps.
- View and discuss the “International Child Art Collection of Horse Art from Around the World”, courtesy of Barnsdall Arts, on display in the Rose Bowl Riders clubhouse.
- Create a Chinese scroll art project using the horse as the focus.
Program Time: 9-12 noon. Classes may stay past that time for lunch in the picnic area.
Available to: 4th & 5th grade classes (no more than 30 students at a time, please).
Taught by: Professional Art Educators
Appropriate for: Regular, Special Day, and GATE students
Meets VAPA standards
Read the LA TIMES article (2/8/2018)
KUDOS FOR A FABULOUS EXPERIENCE:
“I just wanted to let you know that the field trip that our students took with you and Rose Bowl riders on two occasions (2/10, 2/17) were so incredible!!
The students and parents RAVED about how much the kids learned and enjoyed themselves. The kids went home super excited and shared with their parents all about it.
It was very well tailored to the kids and your staff knew how to talk/interact with them in a meaningful way.
If there is ever another opportunity to do this again or if you ever have another presentation/field trip/workshop that you offer, PLEASE let me know.
Again, thank-you to you and your staff!”
– Hanh Le – Curriculum Resource Teacher, Field Elementary School